Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Light dawns on marble head

On Sunday we were busy unpacking, etc. and picking up some groceries. I walked across the street to the farm stand with Nicolas to get some fresh fruit and veggies. He complained that his legs hurt and that he was tired. It is literally across the street, so I assumed he was just being a little difficult.

Monday morning he was still complaining that his legs were sore and he had 2 canker sores on his tongue. I asked him if he had bitten his tongue and he said yes, so I didn't think anything more of it. However, when I picked him up from daycare at 4:30 he was running a fever of 103 and was generally miserable. Didn't eat any of his lunch and kept complaining that his legs still hurt. I did call the doctor and they thought that he was just probably coming down with a cold.

Tuesday he seemed better - the fever was gone, although he still wouldn't eat and had even more canker sores in his mouth. He did take a 2 hour nap which is very unusual as well.

I had a regular appointment at the dermatologist this morning for a skin check and sent him to school, with the assumption that I would check back with them on my way home from the appointment and take him home if he wasn't doing well. They actually called me while I was in the waiting room and said he was feverish again and refusing to eat anything. So I called the pediatrician while I was waiting to be seen and the nurse said it sounded like coxsackie virus (hand, foot and mouth disease) and that it is quite contagious. She also suggested 1 tsp of Benedryl mixed with 2 tsp of Maalox to gargle with. Luckily, that seemed to help a little and Nicolas would at least eat some yogurt. He also took a 2 hour nap (totally unlike him) so I knew he still was not feeling well.

I'm hoping he starts feeling better soon and that neither of the other kids (or us) catch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment