Thursday, August 4, 2005

All set with the hickies

I picked Nicolas up from daycare early yesterday - around noon. They had called to let me know that he was very fussy and was still putting his right hand up near his ear. Since we are leaving for vacation on Saturday, I wanted to make sure he didn't have an ear infection. When I called the doctor's office, they suggested giving him some Tylenol to see if that helped. So, I gave him some Tylenol when we got home, played with him for about an hour and put him down for a 2 1/2 hour nap! When he woke up he sounded very stuffy so I called the doctor's office for an appointment. He checked out just fine (phew!). He now weighs 12 lbs 13 oz. Gained about 10 oz in the past 2 weeks.He didn't seem too fussy until it was bedtime. I gave him more Tylenol (he was still really stuffy) and he went to bed. He was quite restless and Louie got up a couple of times to check on him - he was coughing and it sounded like he was choking, but he was ok. Finally around 1:00 I decided to give him some more Tylenol - it sounded like he was drowning in snot. So I woke him up, tried to aspirate his nose (which he HATES thankyouverymuch) and then nursed him a bit to help him calm down and go back to sleep. But I felt so bad that he was stuffed up that I decided he might breathe easier if I held him in the rocker/recliner so I slept in his room with him on my chest until about 5:15 when I decided to get him up to change him and feed him. It was nice - reminded me of when he was much younger and I did that every night - but he certainly weighs a lot more now and when he pushed down on my engorged chest - well, let's just say that I've had more pleasant experiences! I hope this cold clears up before we leave for vacation on Saturday!

Nicolas has started getting very distracted while eating. This afternoon while nursing him he kept eating for a minute or so then would try to stick his hand in his mouth. He didn't believe me that he wouldn't be able to do both eat and suck on his hand, but he nevertheless continued to try. He also decided that it would be a good idea to grab (really hard) my nipple with his other hand that wasn't in his mouth and when he decided he was hungry tried to stuff it in his mouth. Of course he starts sucking away like mad just under my nipple (ouch!!!) and I have to struggle to actually get my nipple in his mouth so he can eat. It is getting really difficult to determine when he is done eating and when he is still hungry with all the playing/distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment