Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Thank god for outdoor seating

So, when people ask "how was your vacation", I'm torn between answering the short, easy answer which is "great, thanks for asking" and the real version which goes something like this:
"Great, if you ignore the fact that we had a 9 month old teething infant who, oh, by the way, seemed to have some crazy stomach bug which caused her to puke in the middle of the night for the first 3 nights of the vacation and then on day 5 came down with a fever of 102.2 and was incredibly cranky."

Although today started off overcast, it did eventually warm up and turned into a beautiful day. Unfortunately, Lexi was not feeling well and I spent the majority of the afternoon nursing, snuggling (inside) and attempting to put Lexi down in the pack and play for multiple naps. Throw in a few doses of Tylenol and Motrin to try to take down the fever and I missed out on a lot of fun out on the beach. At low tide, a HUGE sandbar appears and is close enough that the kids are able to walk out on to it. Today the kids caught snails and crabs (a big bucket full of them) and had a great time exploring the area. Lexi loved playing out there on Sunday, so I was sad that we missed out on all the excitement.

Most of us headed out to dinner at Bill's - a restaurant just down the street with outdoor seating. We sat down and I started feeding Lexi some jarred food. Not even a quarter of the way into the jar I glanced down to get another spoonful and as I looked up to try to feed it to her I realized that my foot was soaked and that she had vomited ALL OVER THE PLACE. I had nursed her before we left and that entire feeding plus the food I had just fed her came back out. EVERYWHERE. I felt so bad. We cleaned it up with napkins as best we could and then the waiter washed the deck off with a cup of water and a rag. I brought Lexi out to the car for a quick change of clothes (thank goodness I had grabbed an extra outfit on the way out) and we were able to finish dinner with no additional mishaps.

On the positive side, Lexi appeared to feel a LOT better after getting sick and was back to acting like her normal self (mostly).

No comments:

Post a Comment